Global Day of Jewish Learning
November 11, 2018
A day of study exploring the richness of Jewish texts along with more than 400 diverse communities in 48 countries and 6 continents for Global Day of Jewish Learning.
This year’s theme is Extraordinary Passages: Texts and Travels.
At 10:00 am, Drisha educator Shira Hecht-Koller will be teaching on the topic The Journey of Yehuda Halevi: Ideal v. Real
In this lecture we will explore selected poems of the 11-12th century philosopher and poet, Yehuda Ha-Levi, from his early years among the circle of Jewish poets in Granada, to his journey, late in life, to the land of Israel. Along the way we will examine the immigrant experience, opportunities abandoned, and dreams sought after.
Sunday, November 11, 2018,
Hosts: Hadar, Bnai Jeshurun, and LimmudNY
Location: Bnai Jeshurun Congregation, 257 W 88th St, from 9:45am-5:00pm.
In addition to the teaching sessions, there will dedicated space for chevruta learning as well as robust childrens’ programming, run by Ramah.
Full Schedule: Can be found here
Register at: Registration Link
Lunch will be available for purchase between 11:50 am and 2:30 pm.
Recordings of sessions will be available online after the program.
Not in NYC? Find a Global Day Event in Your Area” that would link to TheGlobalDay.ORG
- Rabbinic Intern Sarah Brammer-Shlay (SAJ)
- Joseph Eskin (Kehilat Hadar)
- Prof. Steven Fine (Yeshiva University)
- Rabbi Jonah Geffen (Congregation Shaare Zedek)
- Joseph Gindi (American Jewish World Service)
- Shayna Golkow (Park Avenue Synagogue)
- Rabbi Yonah Hain (Columbia/Barnard Hillel)
- Shira Hecht-Koller (Drisha)
- Rabbi Jeremy Kalmanofsky (Ansche Chesed)
- Judy Klitsner (Pardes)
- Rabbi Lori Koffman (Central Synagogue)
- Rabbi Adina Lewittes (Congregation B’nai Jeshurun)
- Rabbi Eryn London (Yeshivat Maharat)
- Rabbi Lev Meirowitz Nelson (T’ruah)
- Rabbi Mike Moskowitz (Congregation Beit Simchat Torah)
- Rabbi Sarah Mulhern (Shalom Hartman Institute of North America)
- Rabbi Daniel Nevins (Jewish Theological Seminary)
- Professor Gary Rendsburg (Rutgers University)
- Rabbi Mira Rivera (Romemu)
- Rabbi Ezra Seligsohn (Yeshivat Chovevei Torah)
- Alexandra Stein and Rena Branson (Avodah)
- Rabbi Ethan Tucker (Hadar)