The Global Day of Jewish Learning brings the Jewish people together once a year to celebrate our shared Jewish text through community-based learning.
The guiding values of the Global Day of Jewish Learning are: fostering Jewish unity, empowering individuals through increased Jewish knowledge, and creating meaningful shared experiences.
FULL SCHEDULE 2019
Date: Sunday, Nov 17, 2019
Location: JCC Manhattan
Format: 50 minute concurrent classes (10 min breaks in between)
Cost: $15 in advance, $20 at the door, $36 for full-day children’s program
Children’s Program: Run by Ramah Day Camp in Nyack and Camp Ramah in the Berkshires, the day will include Ramah-style Rikud, art projects, fun and games appropriate for children in kindergarten through middle school.
Kosher food: Available for purchase day-of.
Click HERE to Purchase Tickets Today
This year’s theme is “Speaking Volumes”. From ancient arguments to modern meanings, from raising our voices to remaining silent, explore how and why words matter.
Words have power. They can create, they can harm or heal, they can explain or they can obscure. Even our silences can speak volumes. This year, communities around the world will join together to discuss words and their impact on our lives, using Jewish texts as a starting point for conversations.
Explore the power of words by asking questions like:
- Do words have the power to affect the world around us?
- How can we learn through disagreements?
- What can Jewish texts teach us about how our words can hurt others?
- How is silence a form of speech?
- What can we learn about our relationships from the names we use?
Recordings of sessions will be available online after the program.
Not in NYC? Find a Global Day Event in Your Area” that would link to TheGlobalDay.ORG
- Tali Adler, Hadar Institute
- Adina Alpert, Avodah
- Anita Altman, Yaffed
- Merav Fine Braun, Hunter College Hillel
- William Friedman, Shalom Hartman Institute
- Jonah Geffen, Hunter College Hillel
- Lisa Gelber, Congregation Habonim
- Joseph Gindi, American Jewish World Service
- Nechama Goldman Barash, Pardes
- Goldie Guy, JOFA; Yeshivat Maharat
- Shira Hecht-Koller, 929 English, Drisha
- Emily Herzfeld, Modah Jewish Yoga
- Rebecca Katz, Lilith Magazine
- Eliana Kissner, Fort Tryon Jewish Center
- Eli Lebowicz, EliComedy.com
- Adina Lewittes, B’nai Jeshurun
- Andrew Mandel, Yom HaTzedek
- Benjamin Mann, Schechter Manhattan
- Marc Margolius, Institute for Jewish Spirituality
- Mike Moskowitz, CBST
- Naftuli Moster, Yaffed
- Elad Nehorai, Hevira
- Steven Philp, Park Avenue Synagogue
- Michael Rebell, Yaffed
- Mira Rivera, Romemu
- Barbra Rothchild, Yaffed
- Isaiah Rothstein, Hazon
- Joe Septimus, Darkhei Noam
- David Silber, Drisha
- Sarah Wolf, JTS; Kehilat Hadar