Power: Use and Abuse
Monday, June 12 – Wednesday, June 14, 2017. Program canceled
10 am – 4 pm
Join us for a three-day seminar as we examine biblical, rabbinic, and contemporary legal texts focused on the concept of political, judicial, and halakhic power.
We will explore core questions such as:
- Does the biblical text approve or disapprove of monarchy?
- What are the limits to the authority of the king in biblical thought?
- What are the limits to the government’s authority?
- Under what circumstances may authorities suspend the rules normally limiting their power? Would such such an act be considered a legitimate use of power or an abuse of power?
- What, if any, is the extra-legal authority of the courts?
- How have Judaism and Islam each conceptualized separate spheres for political and religious authority?
Click here to register.